Monday, April 11, 2011

Chocolate Madeleines



Just a few more weeks and I'll be off to France! We'll be spending some time in Paris, Lyon and we'll be visiting the Côte d'Azur... I can't wait!

Honestly, I really believe this trip will be mostly about food. My boyfriend and I are writing down places we want to visit: Pierre Hermé, LaDurée, Le Cordon Bleu, Poilane, Moet et Chardon. But isn't that what a trip to France is all about? (That and the beautiful French Riviera...)

The other day was my birthday. I really wanted to make a cake, a giant beautiful cake, but I couldn't find the time or energy to make it. My parents bought me an Opéra, and it was okay, but I really missed the homemade sweets. So around midnight, I decided to make one of the least time-consuming things I knew: madeleines. Not only are they quick to make (you do have to refrigerate them for about an hour), but they don't even require you to make a stop at the grocery store to pick up some chocolate!

So here is the recipe. I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!

**********

Chocolate Madeleines
Adapted from Epicurious
Makes around 36 madeleines

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
4 large eggs
1 cup vanilla sugar
12 tbsp (6 oz.) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
Butter to butter the madeleine tins (or Pam cooking spray)

In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder and salt.

Place the eggs and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer and whisk until thick and lemon-colored. Fold in the flour mixture, then the melted butter.

Butter the madeleine pans (or use Pam), then spoon in the batter, filling each about 3/4's full. Refrigerate the madeleine pans and the remaining batter for about an hour.

About 15 minutes before removing the pans from the refrigerator, preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.

Bake the madeleines until they are firm and puffed, around 7-9 minutes. Turn them immediately from the molds onto a cooling rack. When the pans have cooled off, wipe out the molds and respray them with Pam. Continue baking the madeleines until all the batter is used.

The madeleines are best eaten slightly warm the same day they are made.

No comments: